Tuesday, October 09, 2007

More of Him Mondays

I know that this should have been for yesterday, and even though I started it yesterday, I just didn´t get to finish it as I had planned so you will just have to pretend (like we did for Bonnie on her blog the other day!!!!) that it's Monday... okay guys...





I´m am taking part of Diane´s initiative called "More of Him Mondays" where she encourages us to share a specific piece of scripture that has spoken to your this last week. Share what you feel God is telling you through that passage and how you wish to apply it to your life. If you wish to take part, just click on the link and let her know.



New American Standard Bible (©1995)

"You shall have no other gods before Me."


Wesley's Notes



20:3 The first commandment is concerning the object of our worship, Jehovah, and him only, Thou shalt have no other gods before me - The Egyptians, and other neighbouring nations, had many gods, creatures of their own fancy. This law was pre - fixed because of that transgression; and Jehovah being the God of Israel, they must entirely cleave to him, and no other, either of their own invention, or borrowed from their neighbours. The sin against this commandment, which we are most in danger of, is giving that glory to any creature which is due to God only. Pride makes a God of ourselves, covetousness makes a God of money, sensuality makes a God of the belly. Whatever is loved, feared, delighted in, or depended on, more than God, that we make a god of.


God has been speaking to me about the fact that I have given some people, and what they think and say, a higher place that they ought to have... and sometimes I have feared, delighted and depended on them more than in God. God in his mercy showed me this recently and I was prompted to ask forgiveness and felt that God has replaced this "fear of man" with a new found freedom.


Please don´t misinterpret here that therefore I am not in agreement with the need for counsellors and looking to those respected in the faith for wisdom, just as it teaches in Proverbs. But I think you can all relate to my struggle that moment when I knew it had passed a limit where it concerns me more what these men think that God himself. It´s the Holy Spirit that reveals this to you and you do know it when you have crossed the line.


This also reminded me that God says that the reason for this is that he is a JEALOUS God.... he doesn´t want to share this intimacy he has with me with anyone one/thing else.


This reminded me of my dog Lady who now is in her last days with us before she leaves to go with her new family. She is so funny ...like all animals we often see things reflected in their actions that make us laugh or, believe it or not, teach us something.


Lady is our nervous Fox Terrier who is overly excitable and affectionate about everything. She likes to know that she is loved and cared for and literally fights for attention both in good and negative ways! She likes to be in my face and on my lap....she likes to be WITH me.


She has a interesting habit of whenever I call or love on any one of the cats she perks up and chases after the "named" animal as if to say to me, "Hey...don´t forget me...!!! I am the one you like best...remember? You don´t want to love them... !!"


She is highly envious if I give even a smidgen of attention of love to anyone else...even my kids get this treatment! If she see us hugging or kissing she wants to be right IN there knowing that she is special too. She feels threatened and insecure if she sees me directing any attention to others.


God, unlike lady, is NOT insecure or threatened in himself, but the bible does say He is IS Jealous of my affections being put in anybody or anything else. Also because God in His love, KNOWS that when I have HIM as number one in my life and affections (where your treasure is..there will your heart be also) I am complete and at peace with myself. There is nothing as freeing as being one with God and with yourself.



I saw this cartoon on my travels and although God´s jealousy has nothing to do with envy I thought it was funny!


3 comments:

Terri said...

That's funny!

A Captured Reflection said...

This was a great post - my Monday edition came out on the Tuesday as well. Hee Hee. Maybe we should start our own, Today, Tomorrow or Next Week posts - give us all time :-)

Anyway, yes I agree with you, it's good to have wise counsel, but at a certain point it can bring confusion and you can lose the clarity of the word from God, or just have the aspects from others, and there's another 'main crux' part from God. It's all good, new things, new way, new day!

Cjdusse said...

Thanks for sharing this. It is such a timely word for me and a huge encouragement because I am fasting to pull down all idols in my life and it is not easy!

My Monday edition was posted on Sunday night because by the time I would be able to post it on Monday it would have been too late!