Monday, September 03, 2007

Mary, Mary quite contrary...how does your garden grow??!


How fair is a garden amid the trials and passions of existence.

~Benjamin Disraeli





This is the Hibiscus plant right out side my front door. I love this flower not only because I find it to be so beautiful, but because it reminds me of my trip to Hawaii with my Honey!


Today I attacked my somewhat desperately needy of attention...... front garden!!


Due to the water shortage (although this year it is much better than last year) we didn´t feel at liberty to water all the grass spaces (which now no longer has grass since last year...well....just patches) and so now it´s like dry kind of groundy wilderness with weeds!



It never ceases to amaze me that even though everything else dies... the weeds survive! Why is that? How come thistles and other ugly looking grassy things live without water and the other lovely plants can´t? I don´t get it....



Anyway, back to my groundy wilderness with weeds! I raked the whole thing tidy and cut back all the roses that had got diseased and our vine..... Yes we have a grape vine..isn´t that cool?????




And then I found myself enjoying another one of those little house on the praire moments of picking grapes.... I just love the feeling of picking my own fruit.... it´s so satisfying!



Here is my harvest...what do you think?






Actually there would have been more, but some clusters we had already eaten, others were devoured by birds and others simply rotted...






Look at this little cute cluster of grapes.... just a few... almost meaningless, but in God´s eyes they were just as important as the bigger bunches.... I love that about God.... he cares about the small things in life... the details. I care about details too... sometimes I find myself more concerned with details than with major issues!!!


Well my back aches alot and my shoulders do too...but I have the tremendous satisfaction of looking out on my steps and seeing a lovely tidy garden.... and enjoying the fruits of my labours!!!!


The kiss of the sun for pardon,


The song of the birds for mirth,


One is nearer God's heart in a garden


Than anywhere else on earth.


~Dorothy Frances Gurney,




Kid no 3 took the pics.... pretty good eh!

6 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

How awesome that you could pick your grapes, I remember last year your cherry picking experience. Your garden sounds like a lovely place. I must attend to mine, it's too 'parky' today, so I'll stay inside though.

I have two lemon trees which yield so many lemons I couldn't make enough lemon pies to keep up with them. My raspberry plant which I'd given up for dead (thank goodness the Lord doesn't see us the way we see our plants!) has sprung into abundant leafy foliage, so it looks great now.

Love you
xxx

Terri said...

The grapes look good. We have grapes in our yard too except ours are purple. We should be getting them a little later in the month. We also have apple trees but we don't really tend them. The girls enjoy picking them and eating them too.
I will try to post some wedding pictures in the near future - once I get through all this new school stuff, so keep watching!!

Sharon Brumfield said...

How cool!
I can't wait to get into my own house so that I can plant some fruit trees.
I did love working in my yard in the old house.
And I love the ending poem.

Bonnie said...

Yummy ! I LOVE grapes !! Maybe I should try to grow some here ! I love hibiscus plants too. They grow plentifully around here ... and they are so beautiful ! It is coming into spring now and I'm starting to see the flowers all around !!

Knit-Wit said...

This is the first year in many, many years which I have not had a garden. I didn't even bother to plant flowers in my planter outside the front door - I just weed it from time to time.

The grapes look great - when you have a bumper crop, how do you keep them - freeze? can?

Demara said...

You're so cute Ally! yes that was a very neat post too...I LOVE red grapes, and to have your own vine though, I would love that!!! Yum :)