Wednesday, February 28, 2007

How do I look?

The first thing I did when I received word about my last exams was run down to Deb´s house and put on this fantastic graduation robe and mortarboard! It felt good to somehow live a long life dream to wear this wonderful ensemble of recognition of effort and reaching the finishing line!

Coming from Guernsey, where there isn´t that tradition of "graduation" after secondary school like there is in the United States, I have to agree that I find it to be both a lack and a loss in the British Educational System. Acknowledgment of completion is so valuable and vital to self esteem,
personal growth and positive insertion into society (or subsequent studies) It is true though, that upon completing a degree or higher education the robe and mortarboard are used but needless to say, the majority of British citizens are left without any kind of celebration after finishing secondary school and subsequently thrust into the working world with but a smile and a promise!

So I believe that I am not alone amongst my patriots, to have dreamed about wearing this "acclaimed" attire someday and I felt like now was a justifying kind of a moment to license me to dress up!

Now, I haven´t completed any degree or anything amazing. No letters at the end of my name... which actually is a good thing because surname has enough letters to satisfy even the thirstiest of letter lovers.... but I am excited with my achievements: no matter how minor. Sadly, I do have to concede that one looks grossly overweight in one of these things, as the above picture clearly depicts!

But joking aside, I feel truly excited about wearing it even though it seems a little silly. I imagine this is how God would wish us to feel when He clothes us with the robe of sonship/daughership because we are no longer called slaves, but sons and if sons...then heirs to the living God!

I leave you with this famous quote:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. "

~Marianne Williamson,
A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles," 1992 (commonly misattributed to Nelson Mandela, 1994 inauguration speech)


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enhorabuena cuñaditaaaaa!!

A Captured Reflection said...

Just gorgeous. Yes you're right about the lack of robing etc in the UK. You are an inspiration cos!

A Captured Reflection said...

To get all those new things on my blog, I went into my dashboard and selected a new template, the one I have automatically has this side panel. To add different pics etc, you just 'add a page element' - you will see this option on your dashboard and choose the 'add pic', they are uploaded the same as any pic we use on our blogs. If you want to have the clock on yours, just click on my clock and it will give you the Spanish time and a clock size and colour of your choice. I have heaps of fun with these :-) Love you.

Masked Rabbit said...

Ally, what an achievement. Yes, it's a shame we didn't get to wear the robes when we left school. But so glad you get to wear one now. Well done.

Soul Reflections said...

'Tis but a stepping stone. I love stepping stones. They're all different colors, textures and sizes. Each one is a mystery by itself. And you never know where each will take you. Keep God as your guide and you'll see, taste, feel and hear amazing things. One thing about stones, they build upon each other. You'll never know when you will need the knowledge you've gained now, for the next time. God bless and CONGRATULATIONS!

Ally said...

Thanks so much guys,

I really appreciate your comments and debrand I especially enjoyed the stepping stone example. It really encouraged me today as I was feeling somewhat overwhelmed by not knwing what to do next!
Thanks cos for the explanations... I will see if I can dedicate some time to doing a make over of my blog cause I really like those things you have on the side like that!

A Captured Reflection said...

I had you on my mind the last few evenings, and keep getting this sense of you 'writing'. The word 'write' 'write'. So I don't know if the Lord is leading you into writing some memoirs, a book on parenting, or goodness knows what, but the impression has become stronger as they days go by.

Anonymous said...

You look amazing and showing that joy that is something so Ally and that touches people around :)
Many kisses!!!

A Captured Reflection said...

http://martinapreorder.echoconnect.com/

Paste this link into your browser, I could imagine you singing this song.

Bonnie said...

Hey Ally,

Just wanted to leave a little note. I loved this post. I could totally feel your excitement as I read your words ! I think your cousin may be onto something ! You should definately write ! I'd buy a book you wrote, for sure ! Loved the quote you put at the end. I love quotes. I read quote pages on line ! I haven't heard that one before though. It's a keeper ! Love stopping by to "visit" your blog !

Love, Bonnie