Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Lost Sheep


On Sunday, our Pastor was sharing the parable of the Lost Sheep in Luke 15: 1-7. It is a well known parable to all of us I imagine, but one that doesn't cease to touch me.

Our Pastor shared that he usually found the story to revolve around the goodness of the shepherd, but that recently God had encouraged him to take a closer look at the lost sheep.

Unlike my Pastor, I have always found the role of the lost sheep to stand out to me . I consider the goodness of the Shepherd in the light of the lost sheep. The Shepherd left behind the 99 to look for me, the one that was lost.

I have shared in a previous post, that I was feeling lost
and I was reminded of this as the Pastor spoke on Sunday. I might feel lost sometimes, but the Good Shepherd is willing to leave the 99 to seek me out. He then carries me on his shoulders until he gets home and then rounds up the neighbours for a good shin dig to celebrate finding me!"

It wasn't long before the tears started rolling down my cheeks when the realization of this truth began to sink into my heart. How can we not be moved by such love and such sacrifice in persuit of that which is lost?


When I feel lost , I can reassure my self that the Good Shepherd will come in search of me and not give up until he finds me. He then will carry me on his shoulders and take me to safety!


It is well known that the first symbol of Christianity was that of a fish. On sacramental cups, seals, and lamps the Holy Spirit was symbolized b
y a dove and Christ by a fish (perhaps because at the time, fish was one of the elements of the sacred meal) or by a shepherd carrying a sheep on his shoulders (from Luke 15:3-7) The cross was not adopted until long after the departure of Jesus.

I am sad that this symbol seems to have disappeared from our churches. It seems to reflect in essence the message of the gospel and of God´s undying love that goes in search of us!
I hope that this post has been an encouraging reminder to you that God will always go in search of the lost one!

3 comments:

Soul Reflections said...

Yes, He will. He said "I will never leave you nor forsake you". It's us who turn away after our own pursuits.

I just saw an image of the fish sign you're talking about. It had written around it "Even Jesus had a fish story". Cool.

Anonymous said...

"... não desiste de mim
comigo vai até o fim..."

like He doesn´t give up on me, He´s with me until the end. Some phrases of a song that really touches me and encourages. I just remembered after reading this.

Great one!

Lori said...

I realize you don't know me. :) But, your blog came up in a google search and I couldn't help myself. :D

What's most important about the lost sheep concept is why the Shepherd carries the lamb. When a lamb strayed from the flock, the shepherd found him, BROKE HIS LEGS and then carried him until he was healed. That sheep NEVER strayed again.

The beauty of that is that discipline is hard...for the shepherd and the sheep...but He loves us enough to carry us through our correction...and see us through to the healing. :)

Makes Proverbs 12:1 make SO much more sense for me. :)