Monday, March 24, 2008

The eye of the hurricane



As I have been commenting in the last posts, God has, in his love, bought me to a place of peace in the midst of inner and outer battles.


Like I said, arriving here was anything but a bed of roses, and in this place of surrender there is no contention, no anxiety....but rather a sweet, sweet presence of God.


As I have been contemplating these things, I was reminded about the structure of hurricanes.


Hurricane winds blow in a counterclockwise spiral around the calm, roughly circular center called the eye. In the eye, which is roughly 20 to 30 miles wide, it is relatively calm and there is little or no rain. The eye is the warmest part of the storm.

Surrounding the eye is the eyewall, a wall of thunderclouds. The eyewall has the most rain and the strongest winds of the storm gusting up to 225 mph (360 km/h) in severe storms.


Right now it´s as if God has led me to the eye of a hurricane. It´s calm. Even though all around me the storm continues I am in a calm because I am in God´s eye.



In Deuteronomy 32:10 it says "He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye. "


Figuratively the term apple of his eye is something, or more usually someone, cherished above others.



It seems that God has a knack of leading his cherished ones into the desert so that He can show his love for us, prune us and speak tenderly to us.


Hosea 2:14
Darby Bible Translation


Therefore behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak to her heart.




English Revised Version


Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her.



GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)


"That is why I'm going to win her back. I will lead her into the desert. I will speak tenderly to her.



In this hurricane, in this storm or wilderness if you will... I am in a place of peace, because God is speaking tenderly, comfortably to my heart. It isn´t a place you stumble across or discover on a map and make it your summer vacation destination. No, it is a place that God leads you to in His timing,and in His love, because you are the apple of his eye.












4 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Oh yes Ally. Well said! I am there too!

Knit-Wit said...

I pray that you will stay in God's peaceful eye and not venture back into the storm.

She Rose Up said...

So glad you you that you have found the peace you needed in Him. I love how you said that it is not a place you plan to go.

BTW, the scripture from Hosea that you used are VERY personal to me. It is a whole portion that go together. Love that!

Take care my friend!

P.S. You know...I was struck after reading your post, and looking at the diagram, that we are all singing and praying - 'Lord, send the rain, send the rain'...and the rain pretty much requires the wind doesn't it?

Hmmm....not my will, but your, Lord!

Melissa in Mel's World said...

Ally,

LOVE the analogy, and living in sunny South Florida we get our fair share of hurricanes. I know exactly what you are talking about with the calm in the midst of the storm and I think sometimes it is much more important how we handle the storms than actually the storms themselves...

Great post!
Melissa