Monday, August 06, 2007

Something you didn't know about me!




I wanted to do a "tag" thing out there to all my friends in blogville... I don´t really know how to do that ... I guess it´s just a matter that if you are up to the challenge you can write a post answering this question!



Sometimes you can know someone for a long time and still be caught by surprise on discovering something you didn´t know about them. While I was visiting Bunnygirl's blog http://razors-edge-of-insanity.blogspot.com/ blog I was amazed to discover that she had a close encounter with death at the age of 7 ! This reminded me that I too had a close encounter with death at the age of 4 under completely different circumstances. This in turn surprised, my cousin who immediately wanted to know more about this experience...


So hence, the decision to write about a post about my encounter and encourage you to think about sharing something about yourself that most people don´t know about you...I think it could be fun! I am always amazed by the fact that there is so much more to everyone than meets the eye. Like God, we should be quicker to look at the heart and not on the surface.......


To begin my story, I must go back to when I was born. (oh no you cry...this is going to be a loooooooooooooooooong story!! take heart... it's not going to be that bad!!!! But it is necessary to bring understanding later!!!



Just 6 weeks after giving birth to me, my mother came down with a very mysterious illness that rendered her paralyzed from the neck down. Due to her obvious handicaps, my brother(4yrs at the the time) and I were given over to relatives to be taken care of. As I was such a difficult and inconsolable baby, my Auntie and Uncle couldn't´t handle me and handed me back to be taken care of by my older sister (who was 13yrs old and remained home with my Dad) and my Grandma.

As you can imagine it was a very difficult time for all concerned. My Dad was working 2 jobs and my sister was thrown into the role of motherhood and it´s consequent responsibilities together with my gran. All the time each one having to deal with the fear for my mother´s life, who at this point had been sent to a hospital in England for special care and tests. In the light of these circumstances, it is not hard to understand that I developed a symbiotic relationship to my sister in the absence of my mother.




It´s a long story, but one filled with hope, because the Lord began a work of healing in my mother and within that same year she came back home, began to walk and experienced complete healing. It was also during this time that my parents committed their lives to the Lord.

When I was 5 years old, my sister now at the tender age of 17yrs, left home to go to university and I suddenly became very ill. I can recall the feeling that a single sheet on me weighed as if it were a 1000 tons. Naturally I couldn't´t attend school and I remember crying because I missed the school Christmas party! I don´t know how long I was ill, but I do remember that my parents were so worried that I was in danger that they sent for a doctor to come to the house. (in those days that was only done in very dire circumstances!) Apparently the doctor could not find any physical reason for my sickness. My mum though, was convinced that I was pinning for my sister.








It was only years later that both my sister and I understood this to be true. Obviously the Lord touched both my body and my soul, because I recovered and am here today to tell the story!!! I am a walking example that God can heal those inner wounds!


What is it about you that I don´t know?

5 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

Dearest cos, thanks so much for sharing. This was deep stuff. I do remember Mum telling me about your Mum's condition and that Aunty J looked after your brother. It was a heavy start to the beginning of your life wasn't it...and then later the being so ill. That God has watched over you and protected you and that you have been led by him into all that he has for you, blows me away.

A Captured Reflection said...

I've just blogged my 'something you don't know about me' too.

Masked Rabbit said...

I had wondered when you left a comment about this on my post. Thank you for sharing it. Wow, what a thing to happen, your poor Mum and poor you too. But how great that God brought your parents to himself and also you in time and he healed you too. How is Debee? I still have a letter she sent me years ago when I was at the youth club and she'd gone to YWAM Spain. My, how many years ago was that?!

Brigitte said...

Gosh this is very interesting. I am so glad you were healed by God so wonderfully!!

Thank you for your visit and your wonderful comment. I know I am scarce, but I have a very limited time on the internet at work.

God Bless!!

Anonymous said...

I think I knew Debee had taken care of you, but not the whole history and details. I love to hear (or read jeje) about dear people´s lives and even more to realize God´s cares :) The first thing that came to my mind to tell you about was a surgery that I had to go through a few years ago, but I think you know that ;) So...
Beijinhos!!