Saturday, June 16, 2007

A little funny to help along the way!



To continue on from yesterday´s blog about laughing I would highly recommend this and all other books written by Barbara Johnson as a tool for fighting off the blues!

I was first introduced to her books a good 14 years ago, when the boys were small, and now I have picked them up again and have been equally as uplifted in this season of my life. I guess good advice never gets outdated and we always need to be reminded of some things over and over again. We are so quick to forget, aren´t we!

Any way, the one little dittie I wanted to share to bring a little smile to your face was the following:-

..."Not long ago Bill and I came across the following item on a child´s view of retirement (original source unknown). It seems that following Christmas break, the teacher asked her young pupils how they spent their holidays. One small boy replied as follows:

We always spent Christmas with Grandpa and Grandma. They used to lived here
in a big brick house, but Grandpa got retarded and they
moved to Florida. They live in a place with a lot of retarded
people. They live in tin huts. They ride big three-wheel tricycles. They go to a big building they call a wrecked hall. But if it was wrecked it is fixed now.
They play games there and do exercises,
but they don´t do them very well. There is a swimming
pool, and they go to it and just stand there in the water with their hats on.
I guess they don´t know how to swim. My grandma used to bake cookies and stuff, but I
guess she forgot how. Nobody cooks there,
they all go to fast food restaurants. As you come
in the park there is a doll house with a man sitting in it.
He watches all day, so they can´t get out without
him seeing them.
They wear badges with their names on them. I guess they don´t know
who they are. My Grandma said Grandpa worked hard
all his life and earned his retardment. I wish they would move back home,
but I guess the man in the doll house won´t let
them out."
I read this with DH this morning and we were laughing so hard... Naturally it´s somewhat sad for the poor grandson, but his view was not to far off now was it..... I hope this bought a smile to your face today!!!!

2 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

I read this aloud to hubby and we both laughed and laughed!

A Captured Reflection said...

Me again - whilst I remember, as I tend to forget quickly these days. I have started reading (yes I know ANOTHER book) the "Captivated" book you mentioned a while back - by Stasi and John Eldredge. It is sooo good, at first I feared it might be an unattainable perfect woman, but this lady speaks my language. Great recommendation - so thanks