Friday, June 15, 2007

Knowing who you are and knowing your place

Learn to... be what you are, and learn to resign with a good grace all that you are not.
~Henri Frederic Amiel


One group of happy cats!!!!
From left to right: Laila (tortoise shell )- Grandma
Lucy(all black)- Mama
Tigger (brown, black and beige stripy one) - baby
Number One (black & White) - baby

Having various generations of cats at one time, 3 to be exact, it´s interesting to observe the interaction between them. This has been especially so, during important intervals such as pregnancy, delivery and feeding of new babes within our cat clan.

When Lucy (daughter of Laila)went into labour I was surprised to observe how Laila jumped into the box with Lucy somehow trying to offer comfort and support. I would have expected Lucy to just want to be left in peace, but it was quite to the contrary! She desperately wanted company and affection and looked for it from me and Johnny, as well as from her own mother Laila. It is nice to see that even in the cat kingdom, mum´s are needed in these pillar moments of life!

Seeing the kittens being born was very beautiful. I had never experienced any pet having little ones, so it was a first for me. It is amazing how instinct takes over and Lucy knew exactly what to do! Once she started delivering the kittens, all I had to do was observe.... and enjoy!!



However, once kittens had arrived, Laila was no longer around. She had no interest in seeing what was going on and when one time she did approach the box, Lucy snarled as only cats know how, and let Laila know firmly she had no place in this new situation. I was impressed by the fact that Laila didn´t insist on being "boss"or resuming her mum knows best stand, she knew when to step back and resume a new role. So much so, that she almost became invisible.

Now almost 10 weeks down the road Laila has resumed yet another new role. She is now more involved and they even end up all sleeping together on the same bed. It is true that there seems to be a certain natural hierarchy established and no-one interferes with the each others roles.

The kittens have a strong respect for grandma Laila, and don´t have this playful, jump all over you thing going on like they do with their mum Lucy.

I noticed one day how little Number one (she was the first born..hence the very creative name!!!)saw Laila laying on the couch and gingerly jumped up looking for a cuddle and company to sleep as mum was busy elsewhere. Laila looked up and obviously noticed little number one, but wanted to appear detached. She then looked at the new arrival as if to say, "You can come, but I don´t want to be disturbed....you understand? You are here to sleep and no messin!" She held up her paw as if you affirm the sentiments. You could almost feel Number one lying there in fear, hoping she did not push grandma´s wrong buttons!!!!!!

It was a candid moment that´s for sure... kinda of reminded me of my childhood a little when back in those days, children were meant to be seen and not heard. Especially amongst the grandparents and non relatives. A true Victorian Age doctrine that sadly lingered around while I was growing up.

It seems that in the animal Kingdom the roles are pretty well established and very matter of fact. This is definitely not so clear for us humans. In fact our identity and role in life is a very complex issue and sadly many of us can take years to establish who we are and what we are here for. Others may never truly discover who they are and become lost in the intent.

Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else. ~Judy Garland

On our road to discovering who we are, there are so many factors involved.: Family, culture, society, friends, our opinion of God and the world, experience: the list is endless. It would take a real scholar here to present the whole picture, and I know I´m not that!

Naturally, one must consider who one isn´t in this ratio, to help define who one is. The process is anything but easy and is not without pain.

Personally, I believe a key to self discovery lies in who God is. If I believe God to be loving and good in who He is and in all He does, as the bible says, then I have true grounds to be at peace and accept that His being God gives me value. This is because He has chose to give me the value of the life of His own son. Having value, gives me purpose and a secure basis on which to discover the intricacies of myself, my personality. I exist because God existed first. He loved me first and has made me with design. I am not an accident or mistake.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

I discover the colours and patterns of my personality as I grow and experience life. I realize what I enjoy, what I am good at and where that can take me. Yes, for the mere fact that God is God I find peace in who I am and I let God´s opinion of me define me.

Sadly, I often succumb to wanting to be what others expect/want me to be. This is what Proverbs talks about in the verse, "The fear of man, brings a snare." That being, when I am so interested in pleasing others and walk in fear of what others might think about me, I am definitely in a snare. A trap. A prison.

I dont´believe that there is anything worse that this kind of emotional turmoil or anguish. Only when I attempt to please God, am I truly free. Really free to be myself with all that I am, both good and bad. God made me and you and said that it was GOOD! That reminds me of the little kid saying, that I am good because God´don't make no junk! REMEMBER:

You were born an original. Don't die a copy. ~John Mason


Enjoy being who YOU are today!


2 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

Yes I know just what you mean. Awesome quotes in there too that are thought provoking. A while ago I felt that God was saying that he would give you favour on whatever you write, that there would be an anointing on it, be it personal or 'out there' or for publication. As it's a desire of mine, I thought maybe I was mixed up, but it keeps on coming back to me, so I thought - hey I better share, as it may have some meaning for you :-)

Masked Rabbit said...

Loved the pictures of the kitti-cats. Loved the description too of the interaction and how you turn this to how we humans act and God's input on this matter. Great post and welcome back!