Saturday, June 24, 2006

Tim, "the tool man" Taylor and Al "I don´t think so Tim" Borland
HOME IMPROVEMENT


This just happens to be one those sit coms from the early 1990´s, that can make me roar with laughter! I just love how the show covers classic issues within marriage, family and parenting, and DIY disasters to "hit the nail on the head" (ha! ha!) with uncanny accuracy. Not to mention Tim Allen´s tremendous talent to envelope it all with his amazing stand up comedy style!

There is a de
finite "dash" of real good, wholesome family values intertwined into each show, giving us all a tender exhortation to make those normal, every day fights and fun, into valueable and treasured moments. I appreciate how "real" the issues are and how positive the solutions are portayed. If you have never seen the programme, I would encourage you to take a look... you might even enjoy it.

Why am I talking about Home Improvement, you may ask?

I am a little bit of a "forced to find a solution due to husband absence!!" home improvement buff and I do enjoy fixing and finding solutions to those everyday technical difficulties. I consider myself, through the genes (both my Dad and brother are mechanics and home improvement profies)by default "gifted" in this area and find great satisfaction when my attempts have successfull outcomes. Sadly as my previous post exposes...this didn´t always come through for me as with the hoover!!! But it does on other occasions, as today confirmed!

It´s those little details aro
und the house that drive us wives nuts like: hooks where the screws have fallen out or made the hole so big that they turn around and no longer remain stable. I had two such hooks in our entrance way. The hooks had consquently fallen off and were awaiting solution in the kitchen drawer. That of course is a dangerous place for them to be...as the classic quote says , "out of sight, out of mind" states, because subsequently the man about the house continues to live in obliviance to the screaming need to put those hooks back on. He doesn't notice of course that the coats, hats and bags are swamping the only 3 remaining hooks on the wall!!!!

So out comes "super DIY wife" to the rescue... because she can´t stand it any longer.....haha (anyone identify?) I have seen DH fixing a hole in similar conditions before: filling it up with wood glue, waiting the alloted time and re-screwing the hook and voilá....fixed. So, I thought, that´s not too hard, I can do that!

So that´s exactly what I did.....and..... it worked fantastic......as good as new..... Man, did my chest swell! Didn´t I wish my Dad could have seen it! Yes! Not only did I fix those hooks, I even did No 3's set of drawers following the same system, and now the handles aren't falling off!

Hey, it´s just a little thing, in the light of eternity....but isn´t it those little things that can bug you to death and create havoc in family life? I mean, people get divorced over the issue of where they squeeze the toothpaste, right? The bible says:

Catch for us the foxes,
the little foxes, that ruin the vineyards,
our vineyards that our in bloom.
Song of songs 2:15
(actually said by the "lover"!!!!)

May we watch out for those little thing
s that want to ruin our "vineyards". It's those small things that steal and maybe not the bigs things, as we often may believe!

4 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

Oh, I'd written out a message and it must have vanished into cyber space...it was along the lines of, yes it must be in the genes. My Mum is the most amazing whizz at mending, making, ingenuity..yay.

Have a look at my laughter blog
http://laughterkaren.blogspot.com/

Ally said...

Thanks for your comment again Karen... So I guess this genius mending ability comes from the HOlmes side... well of course it does!!!

gail said...

Congratulations on such skill Ally.

I can't even paint . I tried once and that must have been 20 years ago and the dear husband hasn't allowed me near a paintbrush since.

He is gracious enough to recognise that I have other gifts and it is never an issue that as you say, creates havoc in family life. I simly add moral support and provide copious amounts of tea!!!

Anonymous said...

Details make a lot of difference, even for evil or good ;)

I have just finished to read everything I lost since the rain post. And your writings are a-m-a-z-i-n-g! I just love them!

Well, as a Brazilian I have to say that I agree with everything you wrote about the World Cup. It would be a dream to go and watch the games one day! People from everywhere and most of them are there to celebrate with passion and peace! I am sorry for Spain... :( I was going for them against France even knowing they could be our next opponent! And now, Brazil x France! Do you know we lost a final for them in 98? So people here are crazy for this "return match"! We´ll see! Go for us! :]

Love you!