Monday, June 19, 2006

Study Crazy

No student knows his subject:
the most he knows is where and how to find out the things he does not know.
Woodrow T. Wilson (1856-1924) Twenty-eighth President of the USA.


This weeks has been a difficult week of studying, and I have found myself lost in the world of the verterbraes, spinal cords, traffic accidents with paralasis, Parkinsons, Brain clots, Multiple Sclerosis, ALS..... I was up to my eyeballs in medical terms and had the sensation that the words were swimming across the pages, and swirling about in my head and I wasn´t grasping the half!! It´s a tremendously scary and frustrating experience. Am I alone in this phenomenon?

The very act of conscious learning
requires the willingness to suffer
an injury to one's self-esteem.

That is why young children,
before they are aware of their
own self-importance, learn so easily.

~Thomas SAS


So according to "Thomas" I guess I am not alone ....what I am suffering is an injury to my self esteem... kinda of like what you feel when you are in a room of people speaking a different language and you smile sheepishly, somehow acknowledging a conversation you understand absolutely nothing about, all the while feeling as conspicuous as an illiterate person attending a book fair. (Been there...done that!!!)

We learn more by looking for the answer to a question
and not finding it
than we do from learning the answer itself.
~Lloyd Alexander

Man, does this guy Lloyd know what he is talking about!... I have found out more looking up things in Spanish and English dictionaries and on google than in all my text books! But it all takes time and you cant rush through it.

Just like knowing God.... we have moments when we feel overwhelmed by who He is, moments when we feel the "ah ha" and understand, and moments when we think we know what we are doing and want to rush through all the lessons!


Like studying and learning something new, it takes time and God says :

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Philippians 1:6 KJV


P.S.

A single conversation with a wise man
is better than ten years of study.
~Chinese Proverb

Anybody want to have a conversation with me about the aged and Dependants? It will take months off my studying!!!!!Ha!! Ha!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have very little experence of study to this level. Here all the tv adverts for
students learning 'a' levels etc... call the study 'bit sized' ie: break it down into
tiny little bit sized chunks, and take it a small bit at a time...
might be of help!

Ally said...

Hey Yasmin...it´s great advice...sadly time pressures me a little though!!

Thanks for your comments Yasmin...I appreciate finding them!!

gail said...

Hi Ally, Karen called by my blog and told me to visit you. so "Hello" from Gail in Australia. I am fairly new to blogging but since starting the world is getting smaller daily!!! I will update more frequently as I get into the swing of things.
Feel free to drop by and say hello.
I have your Phillipians verse on my desk!!!

Ally said...

Hey Gail... I am very excited about your visiting my blog and al the way from australia!!! I am honoured. Don´t worry I am totally new at this blogger thing, but I love it....I will drop by and visit yours too...