Friday, June 16, 2006

RAIN


RAIN:

Condensed moisture of the atmosphere
falling in separate drops.

The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain.”

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


These last couple of days have bought with them showers of very necessary rain. For Spain, this is an answer to prayer!

We have had several years of extreme scarcity of "condensed moisture" falling on our Iberian soil, so when it does occur you will never hear any complaints. With our reservoirs at dangerously low levels, no-one would "dare" voice negative thoughts about this rare and priceless element.

Spain has always been the travellers paradise precisely for it´s infallible sunshine, especially sought after by the Brits and Germans who are drawn to this warming quality(and we can all understand why!!)

“Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain”


But isn´t it interesting to realize, that even too much sun, can have a devastating effect? We see that here in the natural, Could it also be true in our lives? We actually long for sun, constant sunshine, as if it is the only form of happiness and despise the rain because it makes our life gray and sad, it´s always inconvenient, and definitely wet! Haven´t you noticed that it always rains in the movies when something sad or bad is happening?

If sunshine is happiness, then rain represents everything that isn´t. As constant seekers of happiness we despise the rain ... run from it where possible....and we find it hard to see God in our rain, fearing that there is no "dance in the rain" and no song.


Life is like a rainbow. You need both the sun and the rain to make its colors appear.”


We do! We need both rain and sun to be truley balanced and satisfied human beings. Not that anyone of us in the natural (hey there are a few exc eptions, I know!) begs for rain, or to continue with our analogy: challenges and difficulties in our lives. But when we are able to see the effects of too much sun, as we do in Spain, we can then accept the rain without complaining...because we KNOW we NEED it!

“God didn't promise days without pain,

laughter without sorrow,

sun without rain,

but He did promise strength for the day,

comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”


I have to be honest. I dislike rain, and I also find it very difficult to "dance" in my times of hardship..I´m learning to sing in the rain of my difficulties.(to coin a phrase!)

Growing up in Guernsey has given me my fair "share" of rain to suffice my appreciation for rain for the rest of my life...... but I have been able to enjoy Spanish rain and especially electrical summer storms which I find spectacular. I have even danced in them and opened my mouth to catch it.... I guess it´s all a matter of perspective!!!!







2 comments:

Masked Rabbit said...

I must be weird - I quite like rain but not days on end of it.
Great post

Anonymous said...

a mi tampoco me gusta la lluvia, aunque estos ultimos días me ha recordado mucho a kentuchy, cuando después de llover, se ve todo más limpio...
a ti te recuerda un lugar, y a mi otro...