Monday, December 17, 2007

Saturday Night Gospel Concert

(this photo is from google!)


On Saturday night my husband, daugher and I attended a gospel concert and I was just so blessed.


I have always had a very great admiration for the wonderful gift of music and annointing God has bestowed on our Afro American brothers and it doesn´t cease to stirr my soul when I hear them sing! Not only is there power in their voices, there is power in their spirits. How can one remain seated and keep still when they start to sing? Nope...not me!


The special guest singer to join the gospel choir for this Christmas Concert was Charrisse Nelson-McIntosh, and if you click on the title you will be lead to her myspace and there are several songs and videos you can hear for yourself!


There was a guy called Amos who also lead out in some songs He was inspiring not just to hear but also to watch! He was smiling and moving... just like the bible says with body, mind and soul, he was giving his everything in song to the Lord. You know they have these amazing eyes and capactity of expression that few, or better said, no white people possess!




I contemplated the history of slavery as they sang, how these men and women suffered, yet still they found Jesus. Not only did He comfort them, but He was able to make them free within their bondage. Free to be content within the circumstances until at last indeed they became real free men. Boy are there some truths in there for us.
Not only do I enjoy this style of music, it goes deeper than that. When I left I felt like I had been renewed from thei nside out!

6 comments:

Masked Rabbit said...

I absolutely love gospel music. Have you heard Sounds of Blackness? I have their latest cd/ Brilliant. And the strange thing...? My hubs actually likes it too.

Soul Reflections said...

We have some wonderful black singers in our congregation. I love the way they sing the old hymns.

Bonnie said...

I have an adopted cousin who is African American and one time when I was visiting, I went to his church. SOOOOOOOO AMAZING !!! I think it has to be a deliberate act to stay still in that sort of place !!! As soon as the music started I just had to move !!!

Knit-Wit said...

Just a thought.... if you live in Spain and you are black, are you still called African American? Wouldn't you be African Spanish - especially if you have never lived in America?

Terri said...

Gospel music does wake you up on the inside - you just have to move. I love it too!
I also like Karolee's thought. I've always wondered if I should be called Dutch American but I think I'll just stick with American!

Sharon Brumfield said...

I saw video on someones blog that really hit me. It was a black guy talking about the spirituals and how they came about. About the song Amazing grace and how the music came from a slave.
That if you look at the music being played on a piano it is all played by using the black keys.
His voice was powerful and moving.
I do enjoy the soul in their song.