Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Farmer´s Donkey

One day a farmer´s donkey fell into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do.

Finally, he decided the animal was old and the well needed to be covered up anyway, it just wasn't worth it to retrieve the donkey. He invited all his neighbors to come over and help him. They all grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well. At first, the donkey realized what was happening and cried horribly.

Then, to everyone's amazement, he quieted down. A few shovel loads later, the farmer looked down the well and was astonished at what he saw. With every shovel of dirt that hit his back, the donkey was doing something amazing. He would shake it off and take a step up.

As the farmer's neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up. Pretty soon, everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and trotted off!

Life is going to shovel dirt on you _ all kinds of dirt. The trick to getting out of the well is to shake it off and take a step up.

I came across this, this morning in my "Enjoying Everyday Life" mag from Joyce Meyer ministries and felt like it echoed a little my week. I have been feeling a little bit like the donkey in the well and looking around and crying about the dirt being shoveled me! This story is an encouragement to me to not give up...

6 comments:

Masked Rabbit said...

What a great tale and uplifting for when those times that hit us, kick us hard. We can keep going

A Captured Reflection said...

I came across this story somewhere before (can't remember where), but it did have a strong effect on me. Us Guernsey Donkey's do not give up! Sorry to hear you've had a tough week - sending love, and prayers and hugs
xxxx

A Captured Reflection said...

I was reading my Joyce Meyer "Woman to Woman" book last night and lo and behold, she shared this story again and it went even 'deeper' with me this time.

A Captured Reflection said...

You are missed in 'blogland', trust you are just busy with visitors, travelling or whatever it may be - checking in to see how you are :-) Thinking of you heaps.

A Captured Reflection said...

Hi Ally,

I have nominated you for the Thinking Blogger award - see my latest posting :-)

http://prayingkaren.blogspot.com/search?q=thinking+blogger

Masked Rabbit said...

I have nominated you for the Thinking Blogger award - see my latest posting
Congratulations

Thinking Blogger Award!