Monday, September 18, 2006

The unofficial end of summer


The calendar tells us that summer ends in mid-September, but we all know that the unofficial end to summer is when the kids go back to school!!!

That is when those lazy mornings and late evenings come to an end and are replaced by the routine and structure that the school schedule demands. Often this change of pace is welcomed with open arms by us mothers after a long summer. Usually a few weeks before school begins, children unconsciously "beg" for school and the regularity it brings, by their boredom . Never of course admitting that this may be the fundamental reason for their discontentment! But we parents know, don´t we!

There is though, a certain tension that arises at this point. It involves the feeling of wanting to hold on to those relaxed mornings and free days and yet it is counteracted with the longing to finally have order and schedule back in the picture. It´s
an interesting phenomenon! There is a certain sense of loss coupled with an element of dread about facing the daily grind.

Tension :

a balance between and interplay of opposing elements or tendencies,a stress that produces an elongation of an elastic physical body;the physical condition of being stretched or strained; a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense;


It´s a well known fact, that many after their holidays fall into depression just thinking about returning to their daily responsibilities. But this healthy tension is something we can´t avoid. There will never be the one without the other. Each season has it´s pro's and contra's and the success lies in focusing on the positive of each to survive with some degree of mental health! We might not want to admit it but this tension actually helps keep us in balance and it helps us grow.

This morning while I was contemplating this tension I remembered Paul talking about a particular tension common to us all....

Romans 7:15......


I do not understand what I do.

For what I want to do I do not do,
but what I hate.... I do....

....For I have the desire to do what is good,
But I cannot carry it out.

So I find this law at work:
When I want to do good, evil is right there
with me.......

For in my inner being I delight in God´s law, but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin.

What a wretched man I am... who will resuce me from this body of death?

THANKS BE TO GOD THROUGH JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD!

In Chap 8 Pauls gives us the a way to de
al with this tension, in that he describes the only way to be free from the law of sin is to live in accordance with the Spirit.

This is a very real tension for us all and I know that until we get to heaven, we will battle with it constantly. The very fact we struggle with sin
will keep us humble and close to Jesus who helps us overcome by the power of His Spirit that lives within us.

2 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

I know just what you mean, of course everything is topsy turvy here and our summer begins in December and we long for the big break from routine, but that said School breaks up for 2 weeks this week and we are away on holiday. Hurray!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ally,

I really enjoyed to read about the green grass. You should really think about writing a book. Coming back home tomorrow from Liberia.

Love you,
Moi