Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Am I lost?


When the road is long and the scenery doesn´t change,often one can become consumed by a sinking sensation that the road is not going anywhere.

If you have ever made a journey that took you hours across a monotonously, repetitive landscape, there comes a point in that journey where it´s easy to begin to doubt you are actually going anywhere... or that you will EVER arrive!

This usually happens after enduring miles upon miles of long road and unending fields. Along with the boredom you begin to wonder... you begin to doubt..... Is this really the right road? How long is th
is going to take?

I guess I feel like I´m at that point in my journey of this thing we call life. Things are starting to appear the same around me and I find myself on an interminable, straight stretch in the same direction and doubt if I am actually going anywhere at all.

Doubt is healthy. It tests one's convictions.



In an article entitled "The Long Straight Stretch
," written by Joni Ereckson Tada, she says the following:

"Someone once said that the challenge of living is to develope a long obedience in the same direction. When it's demanded, we can rise on occasion and be patient... as long as there are limits. But we balk when patience is required over a long haul. We don´t much like endurance.

Right now you may be in the middle of a long stretch of the same old routine. There are miles behind you and miles to go. You don´t hear any cheers or applause. The days run together-so do the weeks. Your commitment to keep putting one foot in front of the other is starting to falter.

Take a moment and look at the fruit:
Perseverance.
Determination.
Fortitude.
Patience.

Your life is not a boring stretch of highway. It´s a straight line to heaven. And just look at the fields ripening along the way. Look at the tenacity and endurance. Look a the grains of righteousness. You´ll have quite a crop at harvest... so don´t give up!"



These words encouraged me so much this morning on my long and winding road. Even though it feels like I´m getting nowhere... God is doing something, producing something in me. Hey, whoever likes to learn patience? I don´t see anyone ever standing in the "patience" cue, eagerly waiting their lessons!! Let alone the perseverance cue......

Our "instant" society doesn´t place much value on these things does it? Why am I all to eager to bypass these lessons ? Even though I am struggling right now with a feeling of being lost on my long road, I want to believe that God is putting some valuable treasure inside my clay pot!

"Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time
we will reap a harvest
if we do not give up."

Gal 6:9







7 comments:

Masked Rabbit said...

Hey Ally, great post and wise words. I'm thinking of you, honey.

Ally said...

Thanks so much honey... It's so nice to know someone is standing with me!

A Captured Reflection said...

Awesome post Ally. Yes, I read it and was nodding my head agreeing, understanding etc.

We've had a time like that - and I am sure we will again, but I realised something in the last week or so, now that we are coming off said same highway, I have been changed - it's subtle and gentle, but I am content with where I am at - I have been in a content happy unwavering place (despite all) for over a month now - but it took something happening during the long monotonous route that was filled with angst and 'going nowhere' feeling to do this - thanks to God.

No moment wasted in 'God time' - rather the long straight than round Mt Sinai one more time and getting dizzy.

xxxxx

Soul Reflections said...

Great post, Ally. Thanks for the encouragement and for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

Dear honey

I finally read this blog entry this morning. It was like a cool comforting breeze on a hot day (journey). I appreciate your findings and the fact that your share them so well with all of us....but most of all I´m especially grateful that I am privileged to walk this long and windly road together with you. I love you and respect you very much.

Your honey

Stephan =)

Masked Rabbit said...

Ally,

Been thinking of you and praying for you.
Hope all is okay.
Love BG

Kimmer said...

Hello Ally!
we have a mutual friend Gail who told me it was 2006 blogger day and that we were to say hello and post on 5 blogs we've not posted on before... so here I am to say Hello! I've run across you on Gail's blog a few times; so I thought you'd be a nice person to meet
blessings to you~
Kimmer :)